If you have been involved in a car accident in Montana, one of the first things that will happen is calling 911. Once authorities arrive and begin talking to the people involved, it is important to know what information you should have before leaving the scene. At Cok Kinzler PLLP, we are committed to helping people through the process of recovering from a car accident.
Depending on the severity of the accident you were involved in, you may be able to get up and walk around and assess the damage to your vehicle. If you are in this position, it is important that you begin gathering information right away. Having valuable facts written down may play an imperative role in your ability to file a claim for your accident that is truthful, effective and timely. Leaving the accident scene before you have all of the information you need may prolong your case if you have to spend time tracking down important details after the initial investigation has been completed.
According to Allstate Insurance Company, once it comes time for you to exchange your information with the other drivers who were involved, you should come away with the following pieces of data:
- The model, color and type of vehicles that were involved in the accident.
- The name of the other driver's insurance company and his or her policy number if available.
- The other driver's contact information including a name and phone number.
- The location where the accident happened including a street name.
- The license plate number on the other vehicle and that driver's personal driver's license number if available.
When you have all of the applicable information, you can fill in the spaces with confidence as you prepare a claim for your crash. For more information, if you have been injured in a car accident, visit our web page.